Why is BaseCase better than using an Excel workbook?
Microsoft Excel is an excellent piece of software, used throughout healthcare for complex modeling. However, it is not an ideal platform for distributing interactive presentations, sales tools or apps:
- Complex user interfaces (UIs) are difficult to create in Excel, and require visual basic coding (VBA) expertise.
- Interactive Excel presentations cannot be styled to meet the high standards of a corporate marketing department.
- Excel presentations can be easily ‘broken’ (by editing the wrong field, or deleting the wrong content).
- Incompatibilities between various versions of Excel (2003, 2007, 2010, Mac, Windows, etc) can make distribution problematic.
- When you distribute an Excel presentation, you “lose control” of your data and it is therefore
not possible to:
- Revoke access to an Excel presentation you have emailed to a customer.
- Review how your presentation is being used (or misused!).
- Remotely update your presentation - so you end up sending around “Value-Presentation-Revision6.xls”, and hoping that people use your updated version.
In contrast BaseCase is a centrally managed cloud platform which addresses all of these issues.